Hair oils have been used for centuries to stimulate hair growth and treat various hair and scalp problems.
The so-called hair oiling has been widespread in India for centuries and is also recommended in Ayurvedic medicine. In India, it is a cultural tradition to massage the scalp after applying the oil. Hair oiling has spread beyond Indian and Ayurvedic practices, and many use it to keep their hair healthy and vibrant and to reduce hair loss.
Picture: MARUSHA Rosemary and Neem hair oil
You Tube video: How to use Marusha Hair Oil.
What is hair oiling?
Hair oiling is applying oil to the hair and massaging it into the scalp to add moisture, shine, etc. Hair oiling softens the hair and scalp and supplies them with vitamins and minerals removed from frequent hair washing.
Hair and scalp experts define it this way: Hair lubrication protects hair follicles from damage by surfactants (the main ingredient in shampoos) by sealing the gaps between the cuticle cells. Oiling prevents hydraulic fatigue from drying out of your hair strands and reduces hair damage caused by chemical products. It is also essential that the oils contain fatty acids that help replace the lipids in the hair. They are lost due to chemical treatments, hair styling, and environmental pollution. Lipids are vital in keeping the hair healthy and maintaining its shine. Hair oil also helps with damaged hair shafts, breakage, and dry hair, especially if the oil is left overnight.
Which hair oil to choose?
Today, manufacturers offer innovative hair oils with various effects and applications. Before you buy hair oil, find out for what purpose you need it. Hair oils include the most popular oils - coconut, sesame, argan, avocado, amla, olive etc.
If you have a dry scalp
To prevent dryness of the scalp, which in turn leads to dandruff and other skin problems, it is essential to moisturize the scalp. For the hair oil to perform its function, it is necessary to ensure that it is easy to massage and absorbs well. Therefore, it is recommended to choose light oils or mixtures containing such oils as Coconut oil, Avocado oil, and Grape seed oil.
If you are looking for a product for hair growth
A dry scalp can be one of the reasons for hair loss. There are oils available in the market that keep the scalp healthy and have hair growth-promoting oils added. Arnica flower extract has a hair growth-promoting effect. It has a beneficial effect on blood circulation, anti-inflammatory effect, etc. Likewise, the oft-mentioned Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary) leaf oil also has growth-promoting effects: a 2015 study comparing rosemary oil to minoxidil found that after six months of use, the group treated with rosemary oil had more hair growth than in the minoxidil group. Thus, rosemary oil promotes long-term hair growth. In the same study, scalp itching was more common in the minoxidil group, so rosemary oil is offered as an alternative for people with allergies or irritated skin.
If you want oil for hair shine
A well-balanced hair oil should be applied to both the scalp and the ends of the hair. Therefore, when purchasing hair oil, make sure that the description indicates the use of the hair oil on the ends. It will prevent split ends and dryness and give your hair shine and a healthy look.
What are the benefits of hair oils?
The main advantages of hair oiling:
1. Supplies the scalp and hair follicles with nutrients and vitamins.
2. Strengthens hair follicles to promote hair growth and hair shine.
3. Reduces hair frizz.
4. Nourishes hair roots and keeps hair soft and moisturized.
5. Essential oils are intended for specific scalp and skin problems.
6. Prevents dandruff.
7. Prevents premature graying of hair.
8. Offers stress relief.
9. Reduces the risk of lice.
10. Fights hair loss.
How to use hair oil
Massaging the scalp and hair helps improve blood circulation, thus promoting hair growth. There are different methods for oiling hair. Massaging it into the scalp is essential to get the desired effect.
Below are the main steps for applying hair oil.
- Apply the oil to the scalp and massage with your fingertips in a circular motion.
- Apply the remaining oil on your palms to your hair.
- Leave the oil on for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner.
How often to use hair oil
There are different opinions. Traditionally, it is recommended to use it at least once a week before washing the hair and leave it for at least 1 hour; in this way, the hair will absorb the nutrients in the oils. However, it is recommended to use it in a minimal amount daily when styling the hair so that it does not frizz and is not dry.
Mistakes in using and applying hair oil
1. Do not comb your hair immediately after oiling. After applying the oil, the hair is vulnerable to breakage. If you start searching intensively, the hair will break.
2. Wait to wash off after applying the oil. Instead, leave the oil on the scalp for at least one hour. This allows the oil to penetrate deeper into the hair follicles and nourish the hair and the scalp.
3. Do not use too much oil. Applying too much oil will require a lot of shampoo to wash it out. The shampoo will wash away the hair's natural oils and the excess hair oil that has been applied.
4. Do not tie your hair. Tying your hair can cause your hair to break.
5. Do not wrap with a towel. Towels are rough and can promote hair breakage. Instead, use a warm plain cotton cloth or shirt.
6. Do not massage too vigorously. Massaging the scalp too quickly or vigorously can tear and break the hair. Instead, gently massage the scalp with circular movements.
7. Do not use too much shampoo. It is essential to wash off all excess oil. Many tend to overuse shampoo to get rid of extra fat. Too much shampoo on your hair can strip it of its natural oils and do more harm than good.
Hair oil has become a popular hair care product these days - it is not only a part of the daily ritual but also an effective way to ensure a healthy scalp and hair at home. With the growing interest and desire to care for the hair themselves, manufacturers offer more refined oils to their customers. By combining high-quality plant BIO oils and extracts, the customer is provided a variety of multifunctional hair oil formulations and blends, such as maintaining scalp health while increasing hair growth and improving hair shine, thus meeting the growing demand. For example, multifunctional hair oil is MARUSHA Rosemary and Neem hair oil for healthy, moisturized scalp and hair growth.
Hair oiling is integral to healthy hair care, borrowed from the Ayurvedic medical tradition. It plays an essential role. Nourishing your hair with oil is like keeping your body healthy and raising it with food.
It is recommended to feed your hair with oil from time to time to keep it healthy, thick, and shiny. Regular hair oiling can prevent hair damage caused by pollution and detergents in shampoo. This will help keep your hair and scalp moisturized and shiny and may help prevent hair loss. Before oil, it is crucial to understand the needs of your hair and choose a suitable oil according to them. This will give your hair the maximum benefit.
YouTube video: How to use Marusha Hair Growth Oil (in Latvian).